IAA-CSIC offers a postdoc contract in the framework of the Project “Severo Ochoa”. Candidates are expected to carry out their activity in the field of characterization of the atmospheres of exoplanets by using high resolution spectroscopy, e.g. with data from instruments such as CARMENES, CRIRES+ or EXPRESSO. Work is expected to be focussed on detection of atoms and molecules, characterize the thermal structure and the upper atmospheres of planets undergoing hydrodynamic scape.
- Analysis of high-resolution observations of transiting planets in the visible and near infrared. Search for atoms and molecules in the atmospheres of the planets by using the cross-correlation technique.
- Characterization of the upper atmospheres and the escape of gas giant planets from the analysis of He triplet absorption spectra. This includes developing and running of hydrodynamical models, radiative transfer and physical interpretation of the spectra.
We require a Doctor, preferably on Physical Sciences, with knowledge and expertise on studying (exo)planetary atmospheres.
- Ability for developing/applying hydrodynamic models and radiative transfer.
- Ability for carrying out independent research, yet in synergy with a research team.
- Initiative to open/advance on new research lines where modelling and/or observations are involved.
Expertise on scientific programming (Fortran, Python, IDL, C++...) and fluent in English are essential.
The fellowships include a competitive salary and full health insurance. Selected candidates will be included in SO-IAA grants, which provide additional funds for scientific visits, attendance to advanced schools and workshops, and other training activities.
IAA is an equal opportunity institution. Applications to this program by female scientists are particularly encouraged.Should you need any further information or assistance concerning the application, please contact the IAA at severoochoa[at]iaa.es